Introducing, BISHTA – the British and Irish Spa and Hot Tub Association. This is the organisation that oversees the hot tubs industry.
According to BISHTA, the benefits of hot tubs are as follows:
- Ease stress
- Lower blood pressure
- Relieve the symptoms of sports injuries and arthritis
- Soothe the after effects of orthopaedic surgery, such as hip or knee replacements
- Bring enjoyment and relaxation
(Information taken from www.bishta.co.uk/)
1. Stress Relief.
First, what exactly is stress?
Stress is a natural response to life’s challenges, and at times it can actually prove useful in raising our awareness of danger and keeping us safe. Stress becomes problematic when we experience no relief or relaxation from it, or if we look for relaxation through harmful avenues such as drugs, alcohol, or tobacco, all of which continue to maintain stress levels within the body.
Here are the current UK statistics concerning stress:
- 43% of all adults suffer adverse health effects from stress.
- 75% – 90% of all doctor’s office visits are for stress-related ailments and complaints.
- Stress can play a part in problems such as headaches, high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, skin conditions, asthma, arthritis, depression, and anxiety.
- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) declared stress a hazard of the workplace. Stress costs American industry more than $300 billion annually.
- The lifetime prevalence of an emotional disorder is more than 50%, often due to chronic, untreated stress reactions.
(Information taken from: www.webmd.com/balance/guide/effects-of-stress-on-your-body)
So, how do hot tubs alleviate stress?
- Hydromassage relaxes knotted muscles, alleviating some of the physical symptoms of stress
- Endorphins, natures “happy pills” are created inside the brain, leading to a relaxed state of mind
- Swirling water has also been found to relax the mind
- Soft, ambient colours and soothing warmth of water all contribute to distressing
- Sound therapy can also alleviate stress, with ambient relaxing music to accompany your massage
- Using aromatherapy in hot tubs can also prove relaxing
With over 150,000 Hot Tubs in the UK and Ireland, many people have already become aware of why it’s so crucial to relieve stress on a frequent (often daily) basis.
So, getting a hot tub in your garden this year could be the best decision you ever made.